S and I are over, as best I can tell, as I talked about in the last blog, The End of the Line. But something is kind of bothering me, and that is this. Anyone who reads my blog regularly knows why it ended. I made it very clear how different we are, in relationship expectations, life style, etc.
I don’t think I ever explained, at least not well enough, why I loved, still love, this man so much. In all fairness to him, he deserves some good press. He’s not a monster, he’s a very cool guy but what he wants is just way different from what I want. So here goes a list of why S is lovable. At least, that’s my perception, even though he keeps telling me I shouldn’t assume I know what he wants.
1. He made me laugh. All the time when we were together. His sense of humor is quirky, off beat, and spontaneous. For example, we were out for breakfast one morning. He noticed the woman in the booth in front of us had her ear peeled to every word we said, and kind of seemed like she was trying to figure out our relationship. One of the waitresses said something to me about my husband. He said immediately, loud enough for everyone to hear, “I’m not her husband!! I’m just her lover!!! Her husband is at home asleep!!” The woman in front of us must have spit her coffee across the table she laughed so hard. As did I…
One morning he woke me up blasting the Black Eyed Peas, playing air guitar and dancing in his birthday suit.
Most of his humor is just running commentary which comes from his unique and unusual way of looking at the world. It’s never mean. Sometimes it takes me a minute, so it also makes me think. Which is good (or dangerous, according to S.)
2. He is a wonderful story teller. This is something I really love, and cannot do, unless writing it. And my God, does he have the stories. I have never known anyone who has lived in so many diverse places, and communities, nor had so many varied, unusual, amazing and often funny experiences. I loved to sit on my deck or in his recliner and listen to his stories. Yet, he is one of the most low-keyed quiet men I’ve ever known.
3. He’s smart. Really smart. He takes his time figuring out how to solve a problem. Pragmatic. Doesn’t get all aggravated (at least not for awhile, lol). He uses his intuition a lot in problem solving. It’s a wonderful thing to see. He’s very creative. My experience with other men and problems they had to solve was, I’ll just say, different.
4. He reads, a lot. He loaned me a book which I absolutely love. My ex did not read. It was wonderful to be able to discuss books with a man.
5. He took me on the best day trips. He understood my love of the ocean and anything water (and shared it) and took me to some really beautiful hidden away places. And others not so hidden away where he had stories to tell.
6. I love his blue eyes (as anyone who reads my blog knows) and his thick curly salt and pepper hair.
7. I loved making love to him. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.
Lucky 7. Makes me wish things had turned out different. But it wasn’t meant to be. I have some great memories, I hope he feels the same.
And no, I will not give anyone his phone number….